The key ingredient to Chimichurri Sauce is parsley. I use a flat leaf Italian parsley because I prefer it to the curly leaf. Parsley is an incredibly powerful superfood. Some of its nutrient properties are:
- ½ cup has over 500% of daily Vitamin K (all about good blood clotting when cut and preventing clotting in veins)
- ½ cup has 50% Vitamin C
- iron, fiber
- volatile oils that have been known to inhibit cancerous tumor formations (especially in the lungs) essentially neutralize carcinogens
- flavonoids- antioxidants
-folic acid for heart health/ protection
With no further ado, here's the recipe:
Chimichurri Sauce & Marinade:
I have used this sauce in many different ways, last night I cut up some cauliflower, tossed it the Chimichurri, and roasted it in my cast iron skillet at 425 degrees for 35 minutes... Once it cooks, the sauce loses some of its green color, but the flavor is fabulous!
- It is much quicker to cook than a grain. Quinoa cooks in 15-20 minutes.
- Quinoa has 9 essential amino acids
- Quinoa is gluten free
- Quinoa has 6 grams of plant protein per serving (1/3 cup uncooked)
Cooking tip: be sure to rinse your quinoa before cooking to get any residue off the seeds.
With this recipe, I topped the quinoa and chimichurri with some toasted pumpkin seeds for an extra element of texture and flavor.